When it comes to cities and states in America, each location has its own unique set of facts. In this article, we will share some fun facts with you about Austin, Texas that you may not have known!
1. The largest urban bat colony that is in North America is located in Austin. At the peak of the bat-watching season, there are up to 1.5 million bats in the city.
2. There have been humans living in the area of Austin since the year 9,200 B.C. That’s a long time!
3. As far as major cities within the United States goes, Austin is considered to be one of the safest.
4. In 1999, actor Matthew McConaughey (who himself is from Austin) was arrested for drug paraphernalia and possession of marijuana. When the police arrived, they found him playing the bongo drums while fully undressed.
5. The restaurant Bess Bistro has a famous owner. Actress and Austinite Sandra Bullock is proud to call the downtown eatery her own.
6. Visiting Austin soon, and dying to eat food that the city is known for? Then you simply must try breakfast tacos!
7. The national chain of Whole Foods got started in Austin, Texas.
8. The first known serial killer in the entire world, known as the Servant Girl Annihilator, terrorized Austin three years before Jack the Ripper stalked the residents of London.
9. One of the most unique cathedrals is located in Austin. It is made up of beer signs, clocks, and other miscellaneous items, giving it the name “Cathedral of Junk.”
10. Austin is known to double its population every 20 years.
Austin, Texas is a highly unique and fun city located within America. If you enjoyed these fun facts, share them with your friends and family to show what you know!